I finally finished my Saint Anger cast drawing and will be taking it home today. Here's the final drawing with the cast just before I go home:
And here's the cast on its own:
I used claybord on it which I'm liking as a pencil drawing surface. This project took me 6 months to complete, working on it about 8 hours a week. It's done in very controlled pencil rendering.
Claybord is great for pencil work. You can erase it indefinitely using various scratch board tools or normal erasers. Probably the only annoying thing is you can go dark way to easily so rendering the lighter subtle value shifts requires erasing out the first rendering to pull it back to the light values. Other than that it's like paper, and being mounted on a cradled board makes it very durable.
My next project at school will be cast painting, but my drawing skills need work, especially with faces. I'm going to switxh back to Bargue plate copies, but after I block in with pencil I'll render with paint. Pencil rendering is tedious and annoying without much learning value. I'm much more interested in learning to control values with paint so cast painting is my next step.
I may also do some of them in pastel since that's very fast for monochrome studies like this.